The art of moving to the US for a postdoc (as a Marie Skłodowska Curie global fellow)

About 2 months ago, the latest round of successfully funded Marie Skłodowska Curie fellows has been announced, and some might soon start to plan their move abroad. My move one year ago was spiked with some unforeseen obstacles. But even without those presumably rather unique incidents, there are quite a few things I wish I’d known before. With that in mind, I’ve put together some helpful information on the administrative side of planning your stay. Since I am on a Global Fellowship to the USA, this post is especially geared towards those in the same situation. I hope that large parts can also be useful for fellows going to other countries and postdocs receiving a different kind of funding, though. So here you go!

How to manage the money?

The full grant amount will be transferred to your home country host institution rather close to your starting date (around a month ahead, if I remember correctly). It took my host institution’s admin staff and me ages to figure out how to manage the money. The full grant amount did, in my case, mean a grant financing two years in the US and one year in France. As explained here, there are different grant portions – two portions that usually go to the researcher on a monthly basis (personal allowance which is taxable, the mobility allowance which should not be taxed), and two portions that go to the institution (research, training and networking costs and overhead and management costs). Lessons we learned:

  • You need to be on your home country’s payroll. Both I and the local Parisian admin staff would have preferred me to be on payroll in the US. When I first inquired with my project officer, she told me that it didn’t matter where I’d be on payroll. But deeper digging revealed that there is actually a clause prohibiting fellows getting their salary from the non-EU host institution, the final verdict by the EU commission thus being that I need to be on payroll in France. This causes practical issues like having to transfer my Euros to the US each month (more on how I do that below), but also has a significant monetary impact: As specified in the tax treaty, foreign researchers who stay in the US for up to two years can be exempt from income tax if they are paid by their US institution; a clause I cannot make use of for purely administrative reasons. For the administration at my French institution this arrangement also caused headaches. The fact that my salary while in the US is different from the salary I’ll receive in France (due to a country coefficient system) causes administrative problems, since it is tricky to change the salary on the same contract without a particular reason. The workaround is that I have a contract where the page that states the salary is independent from the page with all the signatures, and thus can be updated when I get back to France.
  • Pay attention to what happens to your mobility allowance. The mobility allowance is supposed to be 600 Euros a month on top of and independent of your salary to compensate for you being abroad. Now, your institution might not know how to deal with this allowance, since legislations differ as to how and whether this amount is taxable. Christina, who started her postdoc earlier, was paying income taxes taxes for half a year before she could convince admin that this amount could be exempt from taxation. Now we both get around 450 Euro out of the 600 a months, since the institution still deducts social security and other deductibles from this amount.
  • The institutional costs can be transferred to the foreign host institution. Different from the salary portion of the grant, the institutional costs for the two years abroad can be administered by the foreign host institution. I decided to transfer them, since it is much more practical when booking flights or buying equipment to do it locally. One pitfall is that admin in the US has absolutely no idea what the rules in Europe usually are, and they would tend to stick to NIH regulations. For instance, a colleague has had problems reimbursing parts of a meal for a speaker, which would have been no problem based on most European rules, but was not acceptable for the US university administration that followed NIH guidelines. The fellowship guidelines are not very clear on that matter either. In any case, for getting the money over the pond, both sides needed to sign a grant agreement. This required some language-barriered back and forth, but nothing extraordinary. However, my money got temporarily lost – with France having sent it off, but US not receiving it for two months, during which my account would have been frozen had I not had a trusting department.
  • In order to access your research/networking costs at your US institution, you need a social security number (SSN) and be on payroll. The bright side of not being paid in the US seemed to be a reduction in related admin work – but alas, in order to access the institutional costs that had been transferred to the US, I needed to be on university payroll. For getting on payroll, I needed a social security number. For getting that, I needed a document from my university certifying that I qualified, my passport with visa page, and my DS-2019 (a document you should practically glue to your body while in the US; more on how to get that below). I also needed to wait 10 days before I applied for the SSN, and was advised by the international office to not leave the country while the application was pending (advice I was not able to follow because of prior obligations, but that did not cause any complications).
  • You will need to fill in a tax declaration in both countries. Oftentimes, if you receive salary in one country but live in another, it is difficult to figure out where to pay taxes. I advice you to go to a tax service counter in the country where your host lab is situated ahead of time. Our situation is quite special, and it can be tricky to get all necessary information online (especially if, like in my case, my host lab is not in my home country). In the case of France, there is a clear rule that recipients of salaries from a public agency in France need to file a tax declaration in France.  There is a dedicated tax office for those who live abroad but file taxes in France where I need to declare my taxes there. This might be different in other European countries.  In addition, in the United States, all individuals on J-1 visa status have to fill in Form 8843, even if they do not receive a taxable salary.

How do I get my visa?

As important as sorting out the money issues is getting a visa. You should start doing that very well in advance, as in, ideally 6 months in advance, to be sure it reaches you in time (I was, of course, later than that, though not terribly late, and look what happened to me). You will want a visa in the research scholar category of J-1. Here are the steps.

  • Your US host institutions applies for form DS-2019. The first step needs to be done by your US host institution. I emailed my US advisor and asked him whom to talk to for that, and he referred me to the departmental admin personnel. They needed a document confirming that I get the grant as well as my CV. The grant agreement is kind of the only document the European Commission issues, and since, see above, my EU host institution was not able to indicate my salary on my contract I had to go with that for documenting my stipend. For my first year of J-1 application my school accepted that, but when I needed to reapply for year 2, they all of the sudden wanted an additional document where my salary was explicitly spelled out – so, see above, apply early since you never know what they might need! Back to the DS-2019, after my department had issued the request, the school international office requested me to fill in a form with a few details. After that, usually it’s supposed to take “up to a month” to get this form. However, both times I applied the responsible office did not get back to me within this time frame, and once I got in touch they immediately sent me the form, making me suspect it had been sitting in a folder somewhere. So I recommend to ask immediately if there’s any delay!
  • Pay the SEVIS fee. Now that you have your DS-2019 (my department emailed me a pdf of it so I could use the information to proceed with this and the next step, and they later sent me the original by post), you have been assigned a SEVIS number. What can you do with that? Pay the SEVIS (I-109) fee of $180, for instance! This will get you a I-109 payment confirmation, a document you will need for your visa interview. This fee is apparently used to cover the costs of the automated system to keep track of exchange visitors.
  • Fill in a very long form called DS-160. This is the final countdown for being able to make a visa appointment! Bring some patience and humor with you, though not too much humor either, since you might be tempted to answer yes to one of their long list of questions on whether you’re a spy or anything else of suspicious nature.
  • Pay again! This time the visa appointment fee. This was € 160 for me, and you need to pay it on your local embassy website before you can make an appointment. Based on my bad experiences last year, this time I opted for the “premium delivery” (sic!) option for an additional € 16 (an option that I believe didn’t exist last year), which means that I pick the visa up myself in some copy shop at the edge of Paris instead of having it sent by post. That’s US premium for you.
  • You make your visa appointment. Finally! Once you’re this far, there’s a fairly straightforward online scheduling system. Visa appointment availability can hugely vary. In case that is useful at any point during your application process up to here, you can check for wait times here. You will be emailed a confirmation along with a list of things to bring and things not to bring.
  • You attend your appointment. You need to bring: Your valid passport, confirmation of obtaining your various obscurely numbered documents and having made all payments (DS-2019, DS-106, I-109), documentation of your research/training plan, and a photo. You may not bring: Weapons, luggage, your laptop, food, drinks.
  • You get your visa. Or, like for me last time, not. Hope that won’t happen to you. You’re all set!

What about health insurance?

One requirement for being granted a visa is to have health insurance covering, at minimum these things. Now there are several options. Usually there will be a health plan offered by your institution, which will be expensive compared to EU standards, but offers good value for your money by US standards. At my US institution, for instance, I could have enrolled in a plan for around $400, and it would have covered a lot. However, I chose to take a minimal health care plan that seems to cater to Chinese exchange students, which insures me for emergencies or hospitalization and costs me around $80 a month. For the rest, I have my French social security (which is obligatory for me since I have a French contract, see above) – so it is actually cheaper for me to do all my regular check-ups while visiting Europe. Two months of health insurance here buy me one plane ticket. But of course, I do by no means recommend doing it like I do if good health coverage is important to you. Also, the brand new MSCA recommendations do state that additional health care may be financed by non-salary portions of the grant, and given that health insurance of postdocs employed by my US institution is obligatorily covered by their employer and independent of the salary that seems only fair.

How can I access my foreign currency salary?

As I said further above, my salary arrives on a bank account in Paris. A regular transfer would cost me around $30-$50 a month – a cost I want to avoid if possible. But there are alternatives.

  • Get cash and deposit it. What I ended up doing is opening an account with Bank of America, the partner bank of BNP Paribas, my French bank. That way, I can deduct cash for free with my French debit card and immediately deposit into the same machine onto my US account. A downside of that is that BNP Paribas’ card is not free (I pay about $8 a month, but I’d do that anyways). My US account is free if I keep a certain base amount in all the time (here again, the fact that I am not able to receive salary in the US works to my disadvantage: If you receive a regular salary via bank transfer, your account is free no matter how much you still have on it). I would say this is a good option if you already have an account with a partner bank of a US bank. Speaking of bank account, my experience is that opening your account in a branch that is close to your university is always a good idea – employees there are much more used to foreign visiting students or scholars and all the particularities of our situation.
  • Use Transferwise. This peer-to-peer transfer system makes transfers around the world affordable. I’ve only heard good things! I personally can currently not use it, because it requires an authentication of your identity in the country of origin, including a proof of domicile that is consistent with the information your financial institution has. Since I do not have an apartment in France anymore, I gave my bank the address of my French lab after moving to the US – and I do absolutely not have a rental agreement document with my lab.
  • Use Paypal. Another good option seems to set up Paypal accounts in both countries and transfer money from one to another. I have previously used it to get money to someone in the US without paying transfer costs. I have never tried it from my name to my name, but I imagine it would work.

Moving internationally is always paired with quite some boring and exhausting admin hassle. But in my experience, it usually works out in the end (and I hope from the depth of my heart that the new US administration will not change this experience for any researcher that is planning to come to the US in the future). Though I can’t say I’m happy about having to go through all this each time I move, I can ascertain you that I am happy each time I arrive in a new country for new experiences and a new adventure.



44 thoughts on “The art of moving to the US for a postdoc (as a Marie Skłodowska Curie global fellow)

  1. Many thanks, Sho, for this post! I’ve found more useful info about moving with GF here than on any other portal! And it seems we share the same US host! 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Hi Sho,
    Thank you very much for your post! It was really helpful!
    Though I was wondering when did you receive your first MSCA salary payment. Did you have to come up with all the money for moving to the USA and surviving there for the first month?


    1. Hi Krisztina, sorry for the terribly late reply! In my case, my visa was so delayed that I was “lucky” enough to have received my first salary before moving. I also think that advancing salaries can be tricky for some institutions unfortunately.
      But I’ve heard that you can make arrangement to have your mobility allowance payed in big advance installments (e.g., a 6-months’ worth in advance) in order to finance your move.
      Maybe your local admin can look into this option?
      In case you find out anything useful, it would be terrific if you emailed me at so I could add it to the post. Thank you!!


  3. Hi Sho, thank you very much for your guide. It’s very helpful with the information that I did not find in details on other websites.
    I would like to ask in your case, how was it take in total for you to get the visa? I intend to go to US (under the Marie-Curie fellowship too) in the beginning of January and I just started now-in the middle of September. I am living in France too 🙂
    One small thing that I’m afraid of is that do they need the residence card of France validate 3 months before the end of the time we’re going to stay in US? Do you have the French nationality when you apply for US visa or you need to apply for French residential card before?
    Many thanks for your guide and your help,


  4. Hi Annie,
    My US institution estimated 4 weeks for their part of processing. After that, how fast it goes depends on the visa wait times of the embassy (for me it was 1 or 2 weeks), and then it should be there in less than a week. So if nothing goes wrong, you should be well on time :).
    I don’t know about the residence card – I am not French, but a EU citizen (German), so this did not apply for me. Sorry!


  5. Hi Sho,
    thanks for the post! I’m starting a Marie Curie Fellowship in October between France and the U.S.A. and I’m trying to figure out how to pay taxes. As you mention in the post I will be an employer of the French university, so for sure I will be paying taxes in France. Do you know by any chance if I will end up paying taxes in the U.S. too as a temporary resident?
    Thanks a lot if you answer this message and thanks for posting interesting stuff.


    1. Hi Ali,

      No, you won’t need to pay taxes.
      I ended up only filing a tax form called Form 8843 based on the following information by my US university:
      I *think* this was all I needed to do and I haven’t had any issues with that so far. I’m saying *think* here because honestly I didn’t dig too deep. I am sure though that in the end (whether you only do the above form or whether you file a full tax form and then apply tax treaty rules to be exempt from double taxation) you won’t need to pay double taxes.


  6. Hi Sho,
    I hope it is going well with your fellowship. Many thanks for these extremely helpful tips!

    I was wondering about the taxes. I am a permanent resident in Sweden, my home host university is in Ireland and my secondment institution for the Marie Curie Global fellowship in the US where I will be spending the first 2 years. In this case where would I be required to pay taxes?



  7. Hi Sho,

    Thank you very much for all these useful information! I am already in the USA hired by a local university but since less than one year. Therefore I have already visa, DS form and social security here. I was planning to apply to a GF this year to spend other 2 years here and then to return to a European country (not necessarily the one in which I was working before). Do you know if this is possible and what would it change from your situation? Or do you have some contact of EU/MC officer that could provide answers on that?

    Many thanks


    1. This can be found in the guidelines online:
      “The researcher must move or have moved (transnational mobility) from any country to the partner organisation located in the TC.
      The researcher must comply with the following mobility rule: the researcher must not have resided or carried out the main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the TC where the initial outgoing phase takes place for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the deadline for submission of proposals. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.”


  8. Hi Sho,
    I just started my Marie Curie in Boston. And I am still passing through all of the obstacles that you wrote here=). Did you get any tax-refund from your spendings in US (such like IKEA, car, electricity, gas? ). So I am thinking if we are exempt from the taxation in US due to the double taxation ( I am paying in Denmark), can we get our given taxes back? Do you have any experience about it?
    Many thanks,


    1. Hi,
      To your first Q about getting tax refunds for spendings – I have never tried that so I can’t tell!
      As to the second point, I never paid any taxes in the US (declared as exempt) so I didn’t need to get anything back. Hope I understood your Q correctly.
      All the best,


    2. Dear Adra

      I have a GF with the beneficiary in Dk. As we know taxes are super high in Dk, much higher than in other countries where the outgoing phase is held. Also, the living allowance is lower than in Dk (correction factor is 135 % in Dk !). I was wondering if you tried to avoid paying taxes in Dk an pay them in the Us instead ?

      Thank you

      Have a nice day



  9. Hi Sho,
    This is so useful post. Thank you so much! I have a question too. I will be appplying in the next call for a Marie Skłodowska Curie IF with a lab in Boston and I am a little worried about what would be the net salary coming after all tax reductions. Should I expect something like that: [(gross salary*country coefficient +mobility allowance +family allowance)*EUR_to_USDcurrency rate]*[100%- % income tax] ? In other words if the allowances are after all taxed, the US coeffiecient is 99,1%, the EUR to USD conv.rate 1,13 and the total income tax more or less 25%, should I expect the following as a paycheck or do I miss something?
    (4650*0,991 + 600 +500) * 1,13*0,75= 4837,6 USD/month


    1. Hi Peter,
      Sorry for the delayed reply! Unfortunately you’ll get much less, since the gross also includes all employer deductions, e.g. for social security contributions. So you’d also need to substract that, which for me in France were around *0.82. On the contrary, mobility allowance might be eligible to tax exemption!
      So my formula was rather:
      [(gross salary*country coefficient)*EUR_to_USDcurrency rate]*[100%- %employer costs – % income tax]
      + mobility allowance*EUR_to_USDcurrency rate
      (I don’t get family allwance)


      1. Hi Sho!

        Do you have a rough estimate of what your net salary was after all the deductions? I’m going to the US this year with France as my returning country and I’m having trouble nailing down even roughly what I should be expecting.



    2. Hi Anthony,
      perhaps I can help you having one more number. I don’t have family allowance, but in my case (I’ve just started and I’m still waiting for confirmation from the tax office) my net salary ended up being ~3,100 USD. I hope it helps

      P.S.: Is it my perception or this is one of the very few places where you can get this kind of info?


      1. Woah…! 3100 USD??? How many taxes do you pay in your host country? (I though the pay was 4880euro by the US coeficient which is 99%, minus taxes…)


      2. Now I’m even more confused. I received this document ( from my contact person regarding salary, which suggests a “Brut Salary” of ~4450 euros a month (including mobility allowance). Putting this into a French tax calculator (which removes social security and income tax) results in 3250 euros take-home. This is roughly 3,600 dollars. Is this different here down to the conversion rate, or did you find there were other deductions?


      3. Well my “brut” salary is $3,700 so the “net” of $3,100 (may actually be less, I’m waiting for the confirmation – still) is not too surprising. The big thing for me was that I had to pay the employer’s part of the taxes out of 4,880 euros and things got really small really quickly. I wish I had known that, but I also didn’t have the contract (so I didn’t really know my salary for sure) until after 1 month into my contract. I didn’t have any family allowance. Also, I’m being taxed out of my moving allowance because it has been paid by the university as part of my salary. What a rip-off!


      4. That is kind of wild. In hindsight, it seems France + US is just about the worst combination what with paying French taxes and *still* having to pay for healthcare in the US. And yes, this is about the only place I’ve found that actually discusses these problems!


      5. Hey, I got some update on salary. I live in Ireland and moving to the US. All the numbers you guys noted are right, but what I was able to do here in Ireland is to apply for a tax waiver (PAYE exclusion), meaning that while I am living in the US I will not pay Irish taxes, only in the third year when I am back. That’s an important sum. Depending on your country, you might be able to do the same.


  10. There are two types of costs with international bank transfers: transactions fees and the exchange rate. Though paypal offers transaction without fees, it gives you a terrible exchange rate. In my case, Paypal offered the worst deal. Banks often take it from the exchange rate plus take a fee. These hidden costs can add up to many hundreds of Euros over time. Go for Tranferwise if you can.


    1. I’ve been advised to get a Revolut card and have the salaries deposited there, and then using Western Union…. just an idea


  11. Hi Sho,

    Thank you so much for this post! It is very helpful!

    Since you are so knowledgable about the Marie Curie fellowship, I thought I might try to ask my question here. 🙂
    I am currently a post-doctoral researcher in the US, in Connecticut. I’d like to apply for a Global Marie Curie this year to come back in the US again, but in a different country (not Connecticut anymore). I am aware of the GB mobility rule (i.e. The researcher must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the TC partner organisation where the initial outgoing phase takes place for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the call deadline), but what do they mean by “country” here? Do they mean the US as a whole, or do they mean the particular state in the US in which one have carried his/her research? The second meaning seems more sensible here (US are huge, so it would seem fair to treat them as a collection of states), but I am not sure of what they have in mind here. Do you have any cues?

    Thanks so much!
    And good luck with everything.


  12. Has anyone had any success / is there any guidance on whether travel / admin funds can be used to pay for the US visa? The costs soon start to add up with moving to the US…


    1. Hey…! Yes, I asked my Project Officer and she said that yes, you pay for your visa appointment and then get a refund from the research costs. If you’re moving to the US, the requirement of having a private health insurance can also be deducted from the research costs. It is good to contact your EC post-award manager at your institution to confirm that they will pay for this.


  13. Dear Sho

    Thank you for your blog that tries to answer many of the practical questions that are not addressed in the MSCA documentation or not even answered by the EU project officer.

    Regarding the taxes, I agree that you should only pay them in one country. But for me taxes should be paid in the outgoing phase country during the outgoing phase. The main reason for that is the correction factor that is applied to the living allowance. For example, if your EU beneficiary is Denmark, taxes amount up to 41 %., but the correction factor is high so fair enough (135 %). But if your outgoing phase is say in NZ, the correction factor is only 99 % ! So paying taxes in Dk while you are in NZ doesn’t really makes sense to me. The income tax rate in NZ is 27 %, which is more consistent with the correction factor of the country.

    I would be very curious if tax waiver schemes are available for MSCA alumni or people in similar situations ..

    Let me know your thoughts.

    Kind regards,


  14. Hi Everyone,
    As far as I know, the foreign researchers are tax exempt up to two years while being in the USA. For the whole MSCA period, you will be paid by the beneficiary i.e. the host in the Europe. Does this mean that you are supposed to pay taxes for the European country? Any real experience about this?


    1. According to what Sho commented, it does. She used to pay taxes in France and was exempted in the US.

      In some EU countries, like Ireland or Dk, you would pay your taxes in the host country during the outgoing phase – which is more logical knowing that a country coefficient is applied for your salary. See Lola’s example above.

      The best option is to reach out to the tax administration.


      1. Just an update on this. My host country is Ireland and right now I should be in the US for the outgoing phase, so I applied for a tax exemption which was granted (my employer in Ireland did the application).
        But since I haven’t been able to move to the US yet, the tax exemption was withdrawn. However, I have relocated to Spain while I wait for my J1 visa to process, and have applied for tax exemption again arguing for the double taxation agreement (since I will have to pay taxes in Spain in case I remain for over 6 months), and it has been granted.


  15. Dear Lola,
    Thanks for the update. So you were not able to make US due to the covid-19 restrictions or something else? Would you mind if I asked what amount is being offered to you as a salary in the US?


    1. HI Martin,

      I was not able to travel because my university in the US is not admitting visiting scholars at the moment, and so they are not sponsoring my J1-visa at the time. Once they open up they will, so what I did was put in a formal notification to the EU explaining this and they accepted the delay.

      As for the salary, the coefficient for the US is 99.1%, so the gross salary for the first two years (including mobility allowance and after deducting the employer’s costs) is 50,766. Net monthly salary is 3018 if paying taxes in Ireland, 3800 approx with a PAYE exclusion order granted (i haven’t been able to confirm this yet.)

      Hope this helps


      1. Dear Lola,
        Hi again. Thank you very much for this useful information. It really helped.
        But, I really got confused and cannot get how the gross salary got small very quickly. In your case, applying the country correction coefficient (CCC) you should have [(4880*0.991)+600]=5436 Euro as the gross salary. This comes up with an annual amount of 65,232 Euro. You say the employer’s cost is around 22% so it becomes 50,766 then. Thereafter, you got 3018 (without PAYE) out of 4230 Euro. It means you pay 30% tax (income+social contributions I guess) in addition to the initial 22% tax you paid for the employer’s costs.
        As a result, you have 3018 out of 5436. Such a huge taxation (45%). Could you please let me know what currency rate is being applied in your beneficiary to convert Euro into USD?
        Thanks, again.


      2. Hi Martin,
        I was shocked by this too, but the thing is that ALL the employers costs are deducted from your initial gross salary (that’s what’s advertised in the Marie Curie application).

        Also, I want to note that all the numbers are in EURO, since your employer in the host country (in my case Ireland) is the one who employs you for the three years and keeps paying your salary.

        So yes, your numbers are correct, and here’s the breakdown:

        YEARS 1 & 2 (United States)
        € 58,032.96 (LIVING ALLOWANCE – annual)
        € 7,200 (MOBILITY – annual)
        € 65,232.96 (GROSS annual salary before employer’s costs)
        – €5,609.71 (PRSI costs, employer)
        – €8,856,61 (pension costs, employer)
        TOTAL= €45.168,96 (GROSS before your own taxes, i.e. social contributions, income tax, pension etc) = €36,227.88 NET annual (3018 a month)

        For the third year (CCC of Ireland):
        € 67,695.36 (LIVING ALLOWANCE – annual)
        € 7,200 (MOBILITY – annual)
        € 74,895.36 (GROSS annual salary before employer’s costs)
        – €6,424.44 (PRSI costs, employer)
        – €10,331,23 (pension costs, employer)
        TOTAL= €58,139.70 (GROSS before your own taxes) = 41,489.4 NET annual (3,457 a month)


  16. Lola,
    Thanks a lot. This is really a golden information for fellows who are curious about what will happen to their salary before getting double shocked.
    Hope you have a very productive and fruitful work during your fellowship.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s